Saturday, October 17, 2009

Book Review: The Hunger Games



I am always looking for great books to read.  Whether or not I actually make time to read them is another topic for discussion. 

This week I only had 2 days of school and then it was fall break!  I was very excited for this much needed time off!  I decided to just relax at home.  You know, sleep in, clean the house, get all my errands run, and best of all to read. 

This book was recently introduced to me at school.  Yes, I was a little put off since it was a book that many of my middle schoolers enjoy reading but I have to say that I LOVED IT. 

Here is the synopsis: 
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before-and survival.

It definitely is not what I would say is a 'super mature' novel, but it was a fun fun read, and I couldn't put it down.  If you are looking for a fun, quick read- pick this one up!  There is a sequel and I am already on the hunt to pick that up too! 

4 comments:

Jewls said...

Loved that book...I really need to get my hands on the second one that just came out!!

Shantel Elise said...

I have heard it is really good, and even tried to get it at the library the other day. However, it was already checked out. I will have to try again. Sounds like the perfect read for me right now.

galbraithfam said...

I agree--and I have read the second one as well-it's amazing!

Niederfam said...

Hmmm...Aren't these the ones B has been telling us about. I'll have to request it for like my birthday perhaps??? ;)