Friday, November 15, 2013

Zack's Birthday

Zack turned 28 yesterday!  We had such a fun day preparing and celebrating this great guy!  I wrapped the presents in the morning while he was at the hospital and Elise couldn't wait to open them and give them to Daddy.  Even when he got home the first thing she said to him was about his presents.  I think Christmas will go well for someone!  But that does mean that I'll have to hide every wrapped gift until Christmas Eve.  Good thing we had Zack's birthday as a test run! 
I wanted to make something special for dinner that we've never had before.  I made pan-seared filet mignon wrapped in bacon.  Yes, that is the full name and yes, it sounds much fancier when I say it like that.  It was a recipe from Our Best Bites seasons cookbook.  It was so so easy and very quick too!  I have never made anything like this before so I was a little worried but it turned out perfect and oh so delicious.  Zack told me to do a single post on the blog about the filet mignon alone.  Ha ha. 
And just because it was that good, here is a close up of it. It was served up alongside some steamed broccoli and twice baked potatoes. I also made the "suggested" garlic and herb butter to top it with and I'm happy I did.  Melt in your mouth good! I served it up on our You Are Special plate and we had a wonderful meal.
(Best picture of Elise smiling I could get!)
After dinner we opened presents.  Zack got a new sweatshirt, two long-sleeved shirts and google's new Chromecast.  After gifts it was time for cake!  I made him a chocolate oreo cream cake and it was as yummy as it sounds. 
Again, because I can, here is a close up of the cake.  I'm pretty sure we gained about 3 lbs. each from dinner that night, but it was worth it! 
 
Zack: We love you oh so very much!  You mean the world to our family and I don't know what we'd do without you.  We are so proud of how well you are doing in school and know that soon you'll make a kick-butt doctor too!  We love you!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Reading this made me hungry. I want some of that cake!

Shantel said...

I'm so impressed with your culinary skills! Zack is lucky to have you. I hope he had a great birthday.

Niederfam said...

DELICI-OUSO!!! Just like Dora might say. Seriously IMPRESSED. Zack is INDEED a LUCKY LUCKY guy!!!

Nicole said...

So yummy. Fun fun!