Friday, February 1, 2013

Friday Five!

-Thanks to Elise's obsession with elephants (or I should say, Elo's) I have been privileged to watch hundreds of elephant videos on youtube. I feel like I've seen them all, several times!  This little girl can't get enough.  Because of this I've learned a lot about them.  Things like: Elephants can only get pregnant three days every five years!  Holy cow- it's a wonder we have any of them left!

-Last night our friend Amy invited us over for some traditional Nigerian food!  I was a bit worried about what it might be, but it was delicious!  We had plantains, chicken seasoned with Nigerian curry and peppers, and a Nigerian fried rice with liver. It was all very good, thanks Amy!

-For Christmas we received an ice cream maker from Brian and Liz.  Yesterday since it was a high of 14 degrees I thought it best to make some ice cream!  If you can't beat them, join them right?!  I used a recipe from the Ben and Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream cookbook and it didn't disappoint   I made Ben's Chocolate and added in cut up reeses peanut butter cups. Mmmm!  

-Lately I've been wrestling with the idea of potty training Elise. We've check out books on it (see below), and got her a potty seat to let her pretend to go potty on.  She is actually really interested it in, I think! She knows how to put her potty seat on the toilet and often asks to go potty.  I let her go with her diaper off but so far, she has never actually gone potty.  When I try to put her diaper on, she gets really mad!  I think next week we might give it a go since this interest might be my "window" of opportunity.  Does it sound like she's ready to you?  Any tips/tricks?
Subliminal messages anyone?

- I had to share what I thought was a "good mom" moment this week.  We were coming back from the grocery store that is literally in our backyard and Elise was really mad that we were coming inside already!  It was too cold to play so I had the great idea to bring the snow in!  I grabbed a bucket of it, added some food coloring, got out my measuring cups/spoons and Elise was in heaven!  It was a great idea. I see this happening again a few more times!

Have a great weekend everyone!!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

What a good idea to bring snow inside to play! I am very very thankful we have to drive a couple hours o see any snow though. :)

erinmalia said...

oooh, you MUST try this (if you like mintchocchip that is). SOOO good. http://thefoodees.blogspot.com/2011/12/mint-chocolate-chip-ice-cream.html