Tuesday, March 13, 2012

My Grandpa's Funeral

I was fortunate enough to be able to fly home so I could attend my Grandpa Watkins funeral.  He passed away on Feb. 23rd 2012 and was just four years shy of turning the big 100!!  Although he didn't make it quite there I still think he is the definition of "enduring to the end". 

It was a beautiful funeral and celebration of his life and all of his accomplishments and attributes.  He has an amazing legacy- 8 children, 42 grandchildren and 109 great-grandchildren!  We sure made quite the group!!
He was buried next to his sweet wife, Ruth, in the Orem City Cemetary.  All of his children and 37 of the 42 grandchildren were able to be there.
He worked for many years as a Professor at BYU and recieved these special flowers from President Cecil Samuelson himself!  Quite the honor!
This is a picture of many of the grandsons as they brought out the casket.  There were also several retired veterans there to pay tribute to my Grandpa with a 21 gun salute.  I have never been to a funeral where this was done, and it was very neat to see.  We are so glad they were able to be there to perform this honor for him. 
We will definitely miss my Grandpa so much and it is so strange to think that I no longer have any living grandparents but I know they are in a better place and that I will be able to see them again someday!  I'm just grateful for the time I got to have with them while they were here.

No comments: